[F7] Most reliable RAID level

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Jun 27 15:58:17 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 15:06:31 +0200,
  Stuart Murray-Smith <eight32 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings list
>
> What is the preferred/most reliable level to implement software RAID
> on a Fedora 7 server?

Probably raid 6 with spares as that allows for 2 simultaneous disk failures
before you need to go to backups for recovery. And I think that having the
spares will result in rebuilds happening as soon as a drive is marked as
failed (but I haven't tested to see if that's how it actually works). Having
the rebuilds start right away reduces the amount of time in degraded mode
where you are fewer failures away from needing to go to backups.

Generally if you REALLY care about this, you'll buy a hardware raid system
of some sort. You might also get something with multiple controllers so
that if you lose a controller you can still run in degraded mode. Being
able to replace drives without having to shut down the system is also
important.

For a normal home user, I'd just go with raid 1.