DVI output, ATI or nVidia

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Wed Jun 27 17:03:40 UTC 2007

Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> If random Joe User is having a problem, random Joe User shouldn't be
> punished by kernel developers.  Or at the very least those kernel
> developers should be honest about why they don't want to debug the
> problem, rather than hiding behind a "binary driver, we can't debug
> this, go away" statement.

In my limited reading (and probably equally limited understanding), it
seems that more than a few kernel developers have been far down the
trail on a bug too many times only to find that the problem was caused
by some binary driver.  That's a huge waste of time for them and it
doesn't seem at all unreasonable to say "make sure the problem is
reproducable without the binary driver before expecting us to debug
it."

Gun control to end crime is like abolishing sex to prevent rape.