Formatting CDs

Antti J. Huhtala ahuhtal4 at welho.com
Wed Jun 27 22:52:55 UTC 2007

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 21:27:18 +0000 (UTC) Thufir wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 08:26:57 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>
> > I don't know what to respond to people who won't admit there is an
> > advantage to being able to treat a CD-RW as if it is a hard-drive.
>
> calm down.  Someone did respond about InCD, with the thought that it's
> going to write to the whole disc, then wipe it, then rewrite to mimic the
> functionality you're after.
>
> It may not really do what it appears to do at all.
>
> These are just people giving their best interpretation.  It's a buddy
> system, meaning you get further with a bit of sugar.
>

> -Thufir

Being the curious guy that I am, I just came back from Windows XP Pro in
my dual-boot Win XP/Fedora 7 box.
In Windows XP, I have the Nero CD/DVD burner with InCD option. First, I
formatted an 8 cm (1,4 Gb) DVD-RW disk using Nero's "Prepare/Format
re-writable disk" option.
Then I wrote a number of different type files (.pdf, .zip, .html, .doc
and .exe) onto the DVD-RW in succession (one after another, not in one
burn). Just to test, I removed (using delete) the .doc file and it
indeed disappeared from the DVD-RW disk.
Then I wrote it back and booted to Fedora 7. Now that I'm in Fedora 7, I
can open most of the files on the DVD. I didn't try the .exe because it
is compiled for Windows and probably wouldn't work anyway.

I'm not sure that this same operation could be repeated in Linux but I
believe the OP asked whether the same thing can be done in Fedora. Can
it?

Regards

Antti