Formatting CDs

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 28 08:50:26 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-06-26 at 11:20 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>>I don't think anyone managed to be sure he understood your question.
>>I know I didn't. Please define "format a CDRW".
>

> Well its discouraging since I expalined it several times. I want to do
> to the CD-RW the same thing you do when you formatted a floppy. Once it
> is formatted you could mount it and use it like you use a hard drive.
> Copy files to it using cp, remove files from it using rm, etc.

That is not a definition of what is done. There are several things
which it might mean. None of them would allow one to do the kinds
of things one can do with a floppy, AFAIK. There is nothing one
can do to the CDROM which will cause the device drivers to know
to burn more stuff on the CDROM. You'd have to replace a significant
portion of the kernel level interface to the disc to accomplish
something which emulated that.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.