Formatting CDs

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 28 08:54:14 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:

> That was my original point. You can format CD-RW under windows and use
> them under fedora but you can't format them under fedora.
> Why not one might ask?

I am not aware that one can do something to a CDROM using Windows
which will allow Linux to use simple cp, rm, etc. commands to
modify the content of that CDROM. Are you sure you have this right?

Try this, please...

Take a fresh CR-RW from the box, and do whatever magic you think
Windows can do on a Windows box, and put a few files on it. Then take
the CD-RW over to a Linux machine, and just using cp, copy an additional
file, and using just rm, delete one of those files. Unmount and eject
the CD-RW and re insert and mount it using Linux. Then check that
the new file is there, and the removed file is gone.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.