Mail log problem -

Bob Goodwin - W2BOD bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu Jun 28 20:49:05 UTC 2007

Bob Goodwin - W2BOD wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Bob Goodwin - W2BOD wrote:

>> Have you looked in /var/log/maillog for an error message? It is
>> possible in the changes you mentioned, your ISP now requires
>> authentication before accepting mail. Another possibility is that
>> your ISP now requires that the there be a reverse DNS for the
>> hostname of the mail server that is sending it a message.
>>
>> Mikkel
>>
> "reverse DNS?"  Wireshark displayed a number of lines about DNS which
> I did not understand.  I hate to admit it but what's a reverse DNS?
> Guess I need to look that up ...
>
> Bob Goodwin

Ok, I see reverse DNS is simply reversing the process, not sure how that
affects me?

The maillog does show some cryptic [to me] errors:

Jun 28 16:36:55 box6 sendmail[1091]: l5SKaLF4001091:
to=bobgoodwin at wildblue.net, ctladdr=root (0/0), delay=00:00:34,
xdelay=00:00:30, mailer=relay, pri=989592, relay=[127.0.0.1]
[127.0.0.1], dsn=5.6.0, stat=Data format error
Jun 28 16:36:55 box6 sendmail[1091]: l5SKaLF4001091: l5SKaLF5001091:
DSN: Data format error

Perhaps someone can tell me what this means?

Maybe I should just wait until I've installed Fedora 7.  It may be
different then.

Bob Goodwin