Upgrading to Fedora 7 from Live CD?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jun 29 03:09:53 UTC 2007

Pierre Sarrazin wrote:
> Hi. Is it possible to upgrade to Fedora 7 from the Live CD?
>
> I'm trying to upgrade a CD-only Fedora 5 machine to Fedora 7.
> Clicking on the "Install to Hard Drive" icon starts the Fedora
> Installer, which only offers to do a fresh install, but not an
> upgrade.
>
> If the Live CD does not support upgrading, then how can I
> reliably upgrade a Fedora 5 system on a CD-only machine?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora7/FAQ answers both the questions. I
am unaware of any Live CD's which can support upgrades.

In general, upgrades are less reliable than fresh installations.
You have a number of options. Ycan do a network installation which
requires a small boot or rescue image both of which can be burned to a
CD. You can also copy the DVD image to a hard disk and use that. There
is also the option of doing upgrades via package managers like yum or
apt-get or smart.

Rahul