lRe: make fails

Rodney Morris rodamorris at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 02:33:28 UTC 2007

> On 6/27/07, Thufir <hawat.thufir at gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > ok, /usr/include/cups/ppd.h is about 400 lines long. should I post it?
> no.
>
> <snip>
> > I was posting yum results because I've been installing software and so is
> > correlated with the actions I've been taking recently.
> It was not relevant to the make command.
>
> > I don't know enough C++ to interpret the following:
> >
> > [root at localhost splix-1.0.1-1]#
> > [root at localhost splix-1.0.1-1]#
> > [root at localhost splix-1.0.1-1]# make
> > make[1]: Entering directory `/home/thufir/Download/splix-1.0.1-1/src'
> > make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/thufir/Download/splix-1.0.1-1/src'
> > make[1]: Entering directory `/home/thufir/Download/splix-1.0.1-1/ppd'
> > ppdpo -o po/fr.po samsung.drv
> > make[1]: ppdpo: Command not found
> That's the error: ppdpo was not found. Google points to cupsddk, which
> anotha poster in this thread mentioned, and this is not carried by
> Fedora. You may want to ask about this on the fedora-devel list. Also
> see http://www.cups.org/ddk/cupsddk.html

I have compiled and install the splix drivers applying the attached
patch.  The patch works only if you do not need the driver to display
messages in French, German, or Italian.  Thus, the attached patch is a
very crude workaround.  From what I am able to determine, ppdpo
translates messages from one language (here English) to another.  I
will file a request for feature  against cups-devel in bugzilla for
ppdpo to be included in future releases.

To apply the patch:

1) copy the patch to the splix source directory
2) cd to the splix source directory
2) $ patch -p1 < splix-1.0.1-1-makefile.patch
3) $ make
4) as root run "make install"
5) restart cups
6) configure the ML-2510 via CUPS selecting the ML-2150, 1.0 en driver

(After installing, you may need to reset the context for rastertospl2.
 To do so issue the following command as root "restorecon -v
/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertospl2".)

The splix drivers work on FC7 and FC6 with the ML-2510 shared on a
Windows machine.  I cannot guarantee the drivers work when the ML-2510
connected via USB.

Rod