Need to block ?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Jun 30 14:37:59 UTC 2007

Bob Goodwin - W2BOD writes:

> Ed Greshko wrote:
>> Bob Goodwin - W2BOD wrote:
>>
>>> What is the correct notation for blocking a range of addresses in my
>>> router?
>>>
>>> If I block 64.18.5.13  it simply moves up to 64.18.5.14.
>>>
>>> I thought the proper way to do it was 64.18.5.0/255 but obviously that's
>>> wrong or at least doesn't work for me.
>>>
>>> Whatever it is has run my upload data allotment up to 3gigs and I'm only
>>> allowed 5g for 30 days!  So this is a panic and I haven't been able to
>>> find why this is possible?
>>>

>> And your router is?  Downstairs in the family room.  Only kidding, it's a Netgear wireless router which I can control from this box.
>>
> I've set it to block 64.18.5.0/24 and will wait to see what happens
> since the problem is not manifest at the moment.  Since the grandsons
> have been at camp this week there are only two other computers in use, a
> Windows XP and a Mac and I'm not sure who's causing the problem but need
> to stop the bleeding first!
>
> I used 255 because it's set up to assign DHCP above 21.

You do not understand.

64.18.5.0/24 represents the IP address range 64.18.5.0 - 68.18.5.255.

Furthermore, since you claim that you're uploading data there, and this
range appears to be assigned to Postini's mail servers, it's a fairly good
bet that your XP box has been hacked, and turned into a spam zombie.