The new gimp in core (6)

Alexander Volovics awol at home.nl
Sat Jun 30 14:50:46 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jun 30, 2007 at 10:21:05AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> Warning, here I am going to repeat some parts of a rant I've made before.
> Several times in fact.

> Like many who run Epson printers simply because the output color quality is
> worth it, I find I am stuck in a catch 22.  I cannot update my gimp install
> with your new packages.

> The new gimp packaging is apparently hard coded in its dependencies to
> absolutely depend on gimp-print-4.2.7-23 and its plugin of the same version
> number.

> -----------truncated----------------------------------

Hello Gene,

An update to Fedora 7 might fix your problem:
Here are the files installed bij default in Fedora7-x86_64:

gimp-2.2.15-3.fc7
gimp-help-2-0.1.0.12.fc7
gimp-libs-2.2.15-3.fc7
xsane-gimp-0.994-3.fc7
gutenprint-5.0.0.99.1-3.fc7
gutenprint-plugin-5.0.0.99.1-3.fc7
gutenprint-foomatic-5.0.0.99.1-3.fc7

PS
However depending on your Epson printer I wouldn't expect
any wonders from the gutenprint drivers.
Though the placement of the print borders and the general
quality of the print have improved markedly the colors are
still abominable (at least on my Epson Stylus Photo R200).
For quality photo prints I have to use the Epson software
supplied with the printer under Windows.
Linux remains nog go.

Alexander