postfix .src.rpm fails to build on fc6

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Thu Mar 1 20:35:32 UTC 2007

Asrai khn wrote:
> Hi am trying to build postfix-2.3.3-2.src.rpm with Mysql support on
> FC6 but each time it fails and during build process it gives millions
> of lines scrolling ...
>
> (..)
> postsuper.c:112:1: warning: "/*" within comment
> postsuper.c:113:1: warning: "/*" within comment
> postsuper.c:114:1: warning: "/*" within comment
> postsuper.c:115:1: warning: "/*" within comment
> postsuper.c:116:1: warning: "/*" within comment
> postsuper.c:117:1: warning: "/*" within comment
> (..)
>
> And in end it exit with error ..
>
> + exit 1
> error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.651 (%install)
>

> RPM build errors:
>     Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.651 (%install)
>
> I have tried to build it on two different hosts but faced with same
> problem.
>
> Any idea please ?
>
> Thanks.

Are you building in a private rpmbuild, or as root?

It may be worth your while to install rpmdevtools.

# yum install rpmdevtools

Then as yourself, run:

$ rpmdev-setuptree
$ rpm -ihv postfix...src.rpm
$ cd ~/rpmbuild/SPECS
$ vi postfix.spec -- to your liking
$ rpmbuild -ba postfix.spec

That will generate a rpm that you can install.  But the big difference
is that doing it this way will insure you don't step on system stuff and
that it builds in a private buildroot.

If it still fails, you know you haven't hurt anything, and simply do it
again and run the oputput to a file:

$ rpmbuild -ba postfix.spec > /tmp/r.out 2>&1

Now examine the file (long) for errors.  Work up from the bottom.

Fix as possible, then retry.  But generally package build errors are
likely to fall into a couple of catagories:

1. missing -devel packages
2. permissions (selinux can cause packages to fail build if root tries
to step on existing files).  Fixed by running rpmbuild as yourself.

Good Luck!