Use tar to append?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Mar 9 07:48:45 UTC 2007

Mike McCarty wrote:

>> wondering why you wouldn't use Amanda.
>
> (1) It requires installing Yet Another Package onto my already
> cramped for free space system.

All the amanda rpms are quite small.  The largest is 500K.

> (2) It requires learning how to use Yet Another Package when
> I'm not interested in making my OS be a hobby.

Yes, a personal choice.

> (3) It uses other than Standard Tools, which if I decide to
> move to another OS will make my backups not very usable.

Yeah, that's the problem with open source software.  It makes it so hard to
move to a different platform.  :-)

BTW, it doesn't use "other than standard tools".  It uses either native dump
and/or GNU tar.

> (4) The Standard Tools are perfectly adequate for the task,
> so far.

Right...so far....to a point...

> In fact, I wonder why that is even a question.

Because use of amanda makes a nice way to do backups and takes care of all
problems one may encounter trying to maintain their own set of
tools/scripts.  Thought you may want to give it a try.  You don't have to.
Just a suggestion.  Have fun hacking at tar and gzip.