Use tar to append?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 13:58:29 UTC 2007

Ed Greshko wrote:

> Because use of amanda makes a nice way to do backups and takes care of
> all problems one may encounter trying to maintain their own set of
> tools/scripts.  Thought you may want to give it a try.  You don't have
> to. Just a suggestion.  Have fun hacking at tar and gzip.

I'd recommend backuppc as perhaps an even more painless approach.  I
think there is an RPM available now although I haven't used it.  Both
amanda and backuppc will run basically unattended forever once you set
them up.  Backuppc needs some disk space on some computer on the network
  but uses compression and duplicate linking to keep a much longer
history on line than you'd expect.  It has a web interface to browse the
backups and restore with options to download directly through the
browser or restore back to the original location, and an option to
create a tar file from a backup, optionally compressed and split to
chunks of a specified size.  You can let it do the online runs nightly,
then archive to cd/dvd manually at whatever interval you want.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com