convert VHS to DVD

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 13 17:35:14 UTC 2007

Guy Fraser wrote:

[snip]

> It has gotten out of hand, I am going to have to build
> a video stabilizer, to put between my cable box and
> my Media Centre, just so I can watch TV uninterrupted.

Sad state of affairs, yes.

[snip]

> It is indeed an evil system that wrecked the viewing and
> audio on many VHS movies and now continues to wreck the
> viewing of HBO television shows, and any show with HBO
> commercials.
>
> I may build one of these projects listed, but had already
> started developing my own project that would just "black"
> the video portion of the single line that macrovision
> uses, ensuring the least degradation of the rest of the

Ah, but MacroVision comes in several "flavors", and some
of them use multiple line times of the vertical blanking
period.

> video signal. Unfortunately, due to the simplicity of what
> I am designing it will only be suitable for the removal
> of a single line of video data, and since it will be the
> line occupied by macrovision it may be in contravention
> of copyright laws, so I will not be publishing my design.

I don't think that's a problem in the USA. If you came by
information legally, then by freedom of speech you can
publish it. IANAL

> Best of luck, for the rest of you, some of the suggestions
> in this tread appear to be good choices.

Well, building one would not be difficult, even with counters
instead of one-shots, but I'm for buying one prebuilt, myself.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.