Fedora and the "normal" user

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 20:14:31 UTC 2007

On 3/25/07, Peter Lauri <lists at dwsasia.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I am considering to remove all Windows apps on my staff's computers and
> replace it with Fedora. The main things they use are email, web, chat, word
> processing etc. I know all these are supported in Fedora, and I do like how
> they work (using them my self mostly, unless I am using this computer that
> has windows installed).
>

> Is there anyone here who has enforced usage of Fedora on your staff's
> computers where the staff has pretty low computer experience etc. I assume I
> just need to give them time to get used to it.
>

> Would you recommend them to use GNOME or KDE?
>

> What is the main concern about a Windows -> Fedora transform for "normal"
> people? My feeling is that most people using Fedora are of higher computer
> experience.
>

> Would you let your mum use Fedora instead of and Win XP machine? (assume
> that you installed it properly for her).
>

> Best regards,
>
> Peter Lauri

I'll keep this short:

* these seem to be sub-normal users, ie. they have a nicely limited
subset of "normal" usage
* i would attempt enforcement, but loosely - for a month, see how that
works out, then decide accordinly
* I use KDE myself, but I would say install both, default to KDE with
a nice theme, but show them how to choose/try Gnome
* most important, i would suggest trying it with a single person with
whom you know would be forgiving to your efforts - work with them
first, work out the bugs, roll out to others if that works out
* ensure than you can Wine any must have windows apps

Good luck
--
Fedora Core 6 and proud