restoring a PostgreSQL database from one server to another

Andras Simon szajmi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 16:27:13 UTC 2007

On 3/1/07, Beau BOB <man_55 at hotmail.fr> wrote:
> I try this command:  psql -h localhost -U postgres -d template1 -f dbfile 2>
> errors.log
> and I send you the logerror via attachment,

Here's what I (not being a postgresql expert) would do:

- Ask for help on a postgresql list (pgsql-general at postgresql.org is probably the right forum), with errors.log attached.

- Use the -s switch of pg_dumpall to dump the database schemas only, and try to restore that to see if errors such as the following

psql:dbfile:5416: ERREUR:   the relation «ope_fermer_vue» not found

persist.

- If the previous step succeeds (so I have an empty database with all the tables), I'd look at those extra long lines in dbfile that cause

psql:dbfile:5408: ERREUR:   the Line too large : size 13920, maximum size 8136

Are they there for a good reason? A long line like this is probably one record of a table. I'd certainly look at the definition of that table.

Andras