fglrx question

Scott van Looy scott at ethosuk.org.uk
Thu Mar 1 17:20:53 UTC 2007

Today Gene Heskett did spake thusly:

>> A lot of that may be your CPU and RAM.  These are a few times faster
>> than the numbers Claude cited at first, which he said were on a 2.66
>> GHz P4.
>
> And I think thats a real clock speed, the xp-2800 is propaganda as its
> actually running at 2Ghz.

But it's around as fast as a 2.8ghz P4, hence the name. P4s were poked
in a strange way to make their clock speeds "faster" (I believe they had
an unneccesarrily long pipeline or something, someone explained it to me
once...)

It's why the new (well, after P4 - Centrino) laptop chips had slower
clockspeeds yet were loads faster than the old P4s...

--
Scott van Looy - email:me at ethosuk.org.uk | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003