Slightly OT: bad rap for Fedora, and realistic effects

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 19:15:47 UTC 2007

On 01/03/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>

> > Oh? And how is one to know that? Where is that mentioned in the
> > documentation?
>
> Many places in the wiki, installation guide, announcements, discussions
> in this list etc.

I apologize then. My ignorance is at fault.

> > If I choose to install KDE, or foobar for that matter, can I be
> > certain that 2 disks is enough? Or will I find myself stuck in the
> > middle of an install, after I wiped the harddrive of a working XP
> > install, and have no way of downloading more disks?
>
> As I already indicated, if you select non-default packages you might
> have to use additional disks

There is a default? In every installation the user is prompted to
choose his software. I suppose that just clicking "ok" without reading
or changing anything is default. I'm not a default kind of guy :)

> >> 2) Fedora 7 Test versions already provide single Live CD's with the
> >> ability to install to hard disk. The general release would have it too
> >
> > Excellent. I was unaware of that. That will improve the situation
> > dramatically.
>
> I already told you in a previous post on the same thread. Your reply on
> that indicated that you hadnt read it.

I'm rereading the posts, I don't see where that was mentioned.

> >> 3) Single CD's are not useful for the folks with limited bandwidth
> >> connnections. They can download alternative spins like the "Prime" and
> >> "Everything" versions.
> >
> > And multiple-disk downloads are not useful for those with limited disk
> > to waste, time to spare, and/or patience. I term those people "end
> > users".
>
> Sure. Like I said in my earlier post, having a single CD does not fit
> the requirements of many end users which is why you should not argue
> that only a single CD be provided.  Package size as well as numbers are
> constantly increasing in the Fedora repositories. A single CD is bound
> to become less and less useful over time as a result. Fedora 7 will
> provide multiple variations to fit into the different needs better.

As it should be.

> > Rahul, if I could help I would. I'm not a CS major, just a silly
> > Mechanical Engineering student. Many of the usability problems that I
> > encounter with Linux, not specifically Fedora, is that all computer
> > users are assumed to be software engineers. We're not. Sorry.
>
> You do not need to be a CS major to participate. You can help in
> documentation, bug reports, triaging and so on very easily. Take a look
> at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/HelpWanted. Arguing on this list
> changes nothing.

I'm familiar with the page. I have filed bugs in the past, I'll get
myself back into the habit. Usability bugs, especially, I can comment
on.

Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/client.html