mail program for FC6

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 19:43:41 UTC 2007

Steve Searle wrote:

>> Even if you have a limited bandwidth connection, imap to a local GUI
>> mailer iso a lot nicer.
>
> In your opionion, not mine.

It is more a matter of functionality than opinion.  Much of my email
contains non-text parts that mutt wouldn't handle.  And I find the
ability to drag messages among folders on different accounts on
different machines to be much more convenient than whatever method you
might use in mutt to accomplish that (I haven't used mutt over imap so
I'm not sure it is even possible).

>  Mutt has everything I want, can be
> configured exactly how I want, and does things I have not yet found
> available in any other application - GUI or otherwise.

Thunderbird, evolution, kmail, outlook, apple mail, etc. are all pretty
feature-complete.  Thunderbird has the advantage of running on most
common platforms so you can use it from about anywhere accessing the
same accounts if you work on different machines and it will look/work
about the same.   Do you have an example of a mutt-exclusive feature?

> I can also run
> it via SSH and putty from any Windows machine - I keep putty and my SSH
> keu on my phone's memory card.

Running imap over ssl provides the same security, although some places
may not have it available everywhere ssh is permitted.  You can also
port-forward through ssh/putty, but that is a little more cumbersome.
But, if you ever send files from your local machine as email attachments
through your mutt account you must already be dealing with some
inconvenience.

This covers a lot more than email, but another approach to get better
access than putty/ssh from a remote machine is with freenx on the fedora
side and the NX client locally.  This lets you have a complete X desktop
remotely that works fairly well even over a low bandwidth connection and
where only ssh is permitted to the server.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com