Can't get NetworkManager to configure ntp

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200703 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 01:57:39 UTC 2007

Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> writes:
> Sadly, past experience taught me that NetworkManager is the Wave Of
> The Future™; and all alternative ways of getting things done will,
> very likely, stop working at some time in the future.

Hopefully there will be some overlap between when NetworkManager works
fully and the other methods stop working.  ;-)

I did give NetworkManager a try way back when in the fc5 days and it
looked like it had promise, but it just wasn't really all there yet.
Your analysis confirms my suspicion.

Just for completeness, I'm not sure the current fedora ntp.conf hacks
are so wonderful anyway.  They eventually loose your hand-edited ntp
servers and peers.  Even though some attempt is made to keep the
pre-edited version of those files, the logic sometimes stores the dpcp
version twice, overwriting the static version.  This really hurts you
when switching between networks that dhcp advertise ntp servers and
ones that don't (and one wants to fall back to pools or one's home
server).

I'm told Debian does this better and simply starts ntpd with an arg
pointing to a different dhcp-only config file if dhcpclient supplied
an ntp host.

-wolfgang