Nautilus/Gnome Can't Access Vista SMB Shares

Khoa Ton khoa at puresynergy.com
Sun Mar 4 05:40:08 UTC 2007

I'm playing around with Windows Vista, and it seems that Gnome/Nautilus
on FC5 can't access the Vista shares.  Let's say theres a directory
on the Vista system:
	smb://vistaserver/sharename/directory
I can navigate to:
	smb:///
	smb://vistaserver
	smb://vistaserver/sharename
but when I double click on a directory under the share, I get an error
window:
	Nautilus cannot display "smb://vistaserver/sharename/directory".
	Please select another viewer and try again.
The directory icon becomes a generic paper document instead of a folder
at this point.

I can get to the same Vista sharename and directory using smbclient fine:
	$ smbclient //vistaserver/sharename/
	> cd directory
	> dir
	[listing of directory files]

I can also use Nautilus to get to Samba shares as well as Windows XP shares.
Also, other Windows systems are accessing the same Vista share fine.

Looks like an incompatibility with Nautilus or gnome-vfs somewhere.
This is what I'm running:

$ rpm -qa | grep nauti
nautilus-open-terminal-0.7-1.fc5
nautilus-cd-burner-2.14.3-2.fc5
nautilus-sendto-0.4-7.2
nautilus-2.14.3-1.fc5
$ rpm -qa | grep gnome-vfs
gnome-vfs2-devel-2.14.2-1
gnome-vfs2-smb-2.14.2-1
gnome-vfs2-2.14.2-1
gnome-vfs2-2.14.2-1

Any suggestion as to where to look for more detailed error messages would
be appreciated.

Thanks,
Khoa