Can't get NetworkManager to configure ntp

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sun Mar 4 15:33:14 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:

> You may be happy but NM works so much easier. It uses wpa_supplicant
> without requiring the user to figure out how to configure it. And its
> interface is very easy to use.

Unfortunately, that has not been my experience.
I used NM for some time, but it simply caused too many problems
with my WiFi setup (mainly using Orinoco PCMCIA cards).
The connection was repeatedly lost,
and I had to go through a bizarre ritual to get it re-connected
(take out the card and re-insert it and restart NM).

I'm sorry about this, as the NM people were very helpful.
My conclusion is that NM is very nice if it works,
but if it doesn't work "out of the box"
it is probably not worth spending a lot of time on.

Incidentally, I didn't find the user interface particularly easy to use.
In particular, I found that setting the WEP or WPA code
was rather complicated.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366