We need a new subject- bug fixes

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 22:13:22 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>> OpenOffice is the particular thing I had in mind, but I suspect there
>> are others.  I'm not talking about additional packages - this is in
>> reference to your comment about not deviating from upstream.
>
> Again probably licensing reasons.

Licensing as in it is illegal to redistribute the upstream version, or
licensing as in someone arbitrarily doesn't like or agree with the license?

> I made no absolute statements that no
> packages ever deviate. I said that Fedora packages generally avoid
> patches and I stand by that.

Hence my comment that it deviates when it suits their fancy to deviate.

>> I suppose if you break a program's intended functionality there's not
>> so much to maintain.  That doesn't seem like a great thing to do,
>> though, especially without providing an easy/obvious way undo it.  In
>> any case it is hard to imagine any 'upstream' version of sendmail ever
>> delivered with that configuration
>
> Perhaps you send to actually check instead of speculating what upstream
> does. Sendmail is enabled by default but not configured to connect to
> external ports in order to deliver local mail for root user but avoid
> the additional security issues with connecting to external ports by
> default. If there is a security hole in sendmail and it connects to
> external ports by default, it is remotely exploitable. If only connects
> to local host, then the security risk is lowered.

That would apply to all network services, yet none of the others are
handled this way.

 > I dont see how this is
> breaking any functionality since this is a well documented configuration
> change for security reasons.

Documented as in 'man sendmail' where you expect to find documentation?
  How can removing network access from a network mail transport not
break functionality?

 > It is trivially easy to uncomment a line
> and configure sendmail to connect to external ports.

Yet no other network service requires this kind of change to bring the
RH/fedora distribution version back to normal operation as you'd expect
in the upstream version.

 > What exactly are you suggesting?

That the distribution sendmail configuration is handled entirely
differently than all the other services that have distribution-specific
and fairly systematic ways to activate them.  It's not only different
from upstream, it's different from every other fedora packaging
modification in not moving the distro-specific changes under
/etc/sysconfig and providing a config program to control it easily.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com