Where are all the updates gone?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Mar 5 01:14:05 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:

> It's clearly a derivative (it's derived from it).  CentOS is a CentOS
> "product", the CentOS product is something that they produce from
> someone else's parts.
>
>> And since CentOS is a derivative of Red Hat that would mean the folks
>> at CentOS are controlled by Red Hat, right?
>
> In an indirect manner, it would be.  Since CentOS follows what Red Hat
> does, if Red Hat change something, CentOS will do the same.  They're not
> forced to, but they'll have done so as their default policy of staying
> in step.  They could be different, but they want to be a free clone of
> RHEL, and that's what users of CentOS want it to be.  That would fit the
> definition of being controlled externally, even if not being controlled
> absolutely.

Hummmmm.....

Taking these and other comments to an extreme one can argue that RHEL is a
product of Fedora since RHEL contains only parts of what is in Fedora.
Since Fedora has more "bits" then RHEL is subset of Fedora.

--
To follow foolish precedents, and wink
With both our eyes, is easier than to think.