We need a new subject- bug fixes

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Mon Mar 5 03:43:55 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy <tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> wrote:

> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> > It is trivially easy to uncomment a line
>> > and configure sendmail to connect to external ports.
>>

> Sorry, Rahul, I have to disagree with you there.
> It is not trivially easy for normal human beings
> to change anything in sendmail.
I have to disagree with you.  I configured my mail server based on
comments in sendmail.cf for basic functionality.  I tried various
blacklists when that seemed to be the answer to spam based on
instructions I easily found through google.  I switched to using DSpam
locally as a sendmail filter.

I have the O'Reilly Sendmail book on my bookshelf but have yet to open
it since I haven't needed to.  Everything I needed to do to set up my
mailserver was either explained clearly in comments in sendmail.cf or
could be easily found with a quick search.  To do *MOST* things that
*NORMAL* users of sendmail need to do is easy.  sendmail also provides
the ability to configure a huge amount more if you need to but most
people don't.

Instead of a new subject we need to start a collection to buy a dead
horse for people on this list who won't let go of their pet complaints.
The current way sendmail is configured by default for Fedora is
absolutely correct.  If you can't figure out how to enable it as a real
mail server, you have no business running a mail server (and perhaps you
should consider a more appropriate OS than Fedora... say Microsoft's Bob).

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce