Sun T1000/T2000 & Fedora/RedHat Linux

Klaasjan Brand klaasjan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 08:39:36 UTC 2007

On 3/3/07, Aly Dharshi <aly.dharshi at telus.net> wrote:

> Hello Folks,
>
>         I hope that you are well. Recently looking at Sun's site under
> Linux
> servers and was surprised to see that the T1000/T2000 was listed. Turns
> out that Ubuntu and Gentoo have a version of their distros for this
> (http://www.ubuntu.com/sun). Sun seems to have certified them for us.
> Canonical will provide support (commercial) for these systems too.

Those systems use the Sparc CPU architecture which is not compatible with
x86.

        Is there something in the works for Fedora ?

 Look for "Aurora Linux" which is the closest you can come to Fedora on
Sparc at the moment.

Would the Ubuntu work in this area benefit the Fedora folks ?

Of course. They use the same code-base, so any improvements will be shared.

Will RHAS version X support this at a later date (not to distant future) ?

That's for RH to decide. I wouldn't count on it to happen soon.
There seems to be a port of CentOS for Sparc though...

Klaasjan