How will this affect Linux using MP3

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Mar 5 21:08:09 UTC 2007

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 22 February 2007, Res wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> Yeah, I'm working on that too, within the limits of my diabetes.
>
> I think, if this stands, then M$ will have no choice but to sue Fahnhoffer
> for breach of contract.  I've since read that somehow, Fahnhoffer has
> come into the clutches of the former AT&T behemoth, so there has to be
> someone, somewhere within that organization who needs to wear the blame
> for this one.
>
> Of course to call a spade a bloody shovel, these guys have turned into the
> same quality of patent troll that nailed RIM for 600+ million.  I can
> recall faintly when such things would have been handled with a shotgun &
> a shovel.  Things were still a bit wild & wooly back in the 30's... Ya
> know, we still haven't found Jimmy Hoffa...
>
> Whats even more interesting ATM is the days verbal arguments at the
> Supremes, they both SIDES, are painting themselves into a corner that may
> yet generate a ruling on the patentability of software even if that
> wasn't the point of the suit in the first place.  Breyer and Ginsberg are
> both asking questions from what appear to be very well clued in
> perspectives.  There may yet be hope of real justice if we all pray real
> hard.
>
> And no, I'm not a preacher, nor do I play one on tv, so don't send your
> money to me. :)

The issue isn't the license MS has but with whom they don't have
licenses.  This was on CNET today.

Patent fights are a legacy of MP3's tangled origins
http://news.com.com/Patent+fights+are+a+legacy+of+MP3s+tangled+origins/2100-1027_3-6164165.html

This article covers this mess.  In basic points, the MP3 patent is not a
single patent but multiple patents owned by multiple organizations.

Maybe the end of mp3 and the move to ogg or something open source.  :)

A time to end software patents.

--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.