We need a new subject- bug fixes

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Tue Mar 6 02:50:53 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > but you never give a valid reason why that should be the
>> > default. Everything I hear comes back to "That is the way I use it,
>> > so it should be configured that way."
>>

> Email would not be useful if someone doesn't accept network connections.
> So even if not everyone needs it, clearly some do.

I find the default configuration very reasonable on my laptop.  Quite
often I use the laptop in standalone mode with *no* network connection.
System generated e-mails (e.g., logwatch, various cron jobs, etc.) queue
locally on the system with the default sendmail configuration.  *nix
systems have relied on having local mail for this purpose for several
decades.  Linux is no different.

With this approach I can look at the various e-mails to root using
something like pine or even mail or mailx but I can still retrieve my
user mail when I have an network connection since my mail client is
configured to access my POP/IMAP server.  I find this very useful.  I
would guess that the majority of Linux laptop users would agree.  I
definitely do not want sendmail to accept non-local connections on my
laptop.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce