We need a new subject- bug fixes

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Mar 6 16:22:21 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> I'm not sure I've ever said exactly that, but you keep saying I said it
>>> for some reason.  I'm saying enabling or disabling its access to the
>>> network should be handled the way the distribution handles other
>>> programs.
>>>
>> Aren't you the Les that keeps saying that the supplied config is
>> broken because it does not accept incoming network connections?
>
> What if everyone ran this configuration?

What if everyone ran an open relay? That makes about as much sense
as your question.

>> If
>> it is not going to be accepting incoming mail, then why would it
>> need to accept network connections? Am I missing another reason why
>> Sendmail would need to accept incoming network connections? (Outside
>> of making it easier to crack if a bug is found?)
>
> Not everyone has this same limited configuration.  If your machine don't
> have any scsi drives would you argue that the distribution shouldn't
> include support for them?

Bad analogy. A closer one to your position would be that because
some people run SCSI drives, the drivers should be built into the
kernel, instead of being modules. So yes, even though I do run SCSI
drives, I would argue that the drivers should be modules, and not
built into the kernel. For my personal use, I build a kernel with
the SCSI drivers I need built in. That does not mean I think my
configuration should be the one used for the kernels shipped with
Fedora. It also doesn't mean the Fedora kernel configuration is broken.

Another example - I have a system with a K6 processor. The stock
kernels are not optimized for the K6 processor. Does that mean the
stock kernels are broken? How about my sister's system with the K7
processor? Where are the K7 optimized kernels? By your arguments, we
should have k6 and k7 optimized kernels. Probably 386 and 486
kernels as well.

Mikkel