We need a new subject- bug fixes

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Mar 6 16:47:33 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>
>> Make what unlikely? That they would be running Sendmail, Fedora
>> Core, and would consider using a GUI to configure it? Definitely.
>
> Historically whatever is in fedora and works will be in the next version
> of RHEL.  I have no doubt that many ISPs use RHEL or some derivative and
> of course large number of businesses use it for their own servers.  It's
> not just unlikely that they are using an unmodified RH/fedora
> configuration,  it is impossible - but it doesn't have to be.

How may of these could use any stock configuration? Most ISP's are
going to need custom configuration. Then again, the techs I know
that work for ISP's are not going to use a stock config, or a GUI
configuration tool anyway. I think this is fairly typical for ISP's.

For small businesses, Sendmail is probably not the right chooice in
the first place. It has to be available for ISP's and businesses
with because it has a long tradition, and techs that are comfortable
with it. But if you are configuring your first mail program, then
there are better choices. So if you want to make this easy for
people converting to RH, you should be pushing for changing the
default mail server, and not for config files that see limited use
at best.

Mikkel