PS/2 peripherals

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Mar 6 18:27:40 UTC 2007

Gareth Howlett wrote:

> It's really too bad there isn't a way to ask BIOS to search
> again.  Anyway, no big deal - I figure we've got two options...
>
> - Live with it.
>
> - Find a PS/2 adapter which always shows a peripheral connected (I know
> they exist for monitor connections).
>
> And a note for next time - make sure we have enough PS/2 ports and base
> our KVM on it as well.

You may want to look into a USB PS/2 adapter. You can get one with
both a keyboard and mouse connection fairly cheap. (I have seen them
in the $3 range.) Because it is a USB device, Linux know when they
are connected. So you can just plug it in and go. You can then
unplug it from one machine, and move it to the next without
problems. (It will work on Windows machines as well.) That way, you
only have one plug to worry about. It is also nice if the machines
have front panel USB jacks, but you can use an extension or a hub to
get the connection to a convent place.

Here is one example of what I am talking about:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BLK-USBTP2PPS2&cat=CBL

Mikkel