Direct Update FC 1 -> FC6

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Mar 6 21:23:03 UTC 2007

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> I tried FC4->FC6 with DVD upgrade, it just failed...
>
> On 3/4/07, Guillermo Garron <guillermo.fedora at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 3/3/07, Gerhard Wiesinger <lists at wiesinger.com> wrote:
>> > Hello!
>> >
>> > Ist it possible to do a direct update via yum from Fedora Core 1 to
>> Fedora
>> > Core 6? (without updating FC1 => FC2 => FC3 => FC4 => FC5 => FC6).  Can
>> > some of the versions be updated directly?
>> >
>> > Thank you for the answer.
>> Just another question, instead of an answer, would not be better to
>> try download the FC6 CDs and try an upgrade using the CDs instead of
>> yum?
>>
>> regards,
>> --
>> Guillermo Garron
>> "Linux IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends
>> are."
>> (Using FC6, CentOS4.4 and Ubuntu 6.06)
>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/go2linux
>> http://www.go2linux.org

I did the upgrade from FC4 to FC6 using the DVD as the network isn't
that great from time to time.  It was okay but took a very long time.
Never did get things back to normal.

As the drive started giving me error messages, I put a new drive in and
did a clean install.  Much quicker but getting the secondary packages
installed took a bit longer.

If you only use the default Fedora repositories, I don't see any issues.
  If you use any secondary repositories, go for a clean install as it is
easier to clean up the cludge after.
--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.