Cannot open Firefox after closing her.

Sjoerd Mullender sjoerd at acm.org
Thu Mar 8 16:53:48 UTC 2007

On 2007-03-08 17:36, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Recently, I've found that I'm unable to open Firefox after I close the
> program. I close Firefox with the X button on the Title bar. When I
> try to open it again, I am confronted with this:
> Firefox is already running, but not responding. To open a new window,
> you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your
> system.
>
> I've looked in /.mozilla/firefox/profile but there is no lock file.
> Also, typing jobs at the command line shows me no jobs- not even
> things that I know are running such as Opera and Kmail.

jobs is a shell builtin to list the jobs that the shell knows about.
The shell only knows about jobs (processes) that it started itself.
Presumably firefox, Opera and Kmail were not started by the shell in
which you typed jobs.

Use ps -e (look in the man page for more options) to see all processes.

> This problem is reproducable: I reboot, and I can open Firefox.
> However, after close, it will not reopen. How can I kill Fx so that I
> can restart it, without shutting down?

My experience is that firefox takes quite a long time to exit.  So the
answer is: just wait a while longer.

--
Sjoerd Mullender