PS/2 peripherals

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Mar 9 02:27:51 UTC 2007

Tim:
>> Windows being unable to cope with you unplugging a PS/2
>> device, replugging it, then you wanting to carry on using it, etc.).

Les Mikesell:
> Normally you can unplug and replug the keyboard/mouse after the boot has
> completed and windows will still see it.  However since the PS/2
> connectors aren't spec'd for this there is some chance of blowing up the
> motherboard when hotplugging.

I'm yet to blow up anything doing that, though I know the risk is there.
I've seen plenty who've physically damaged the pins on PS/2 connectors,
I really hate those mini-DIN connectors.

I've had mixed results with Windows handling a device being unplugged
and replugged.  I haven't had that issue with Linux, at all.

> I've also had some trouble getting windows to recognize a USB
> keyboard/mouse if it was plugged in for the first time after booting
> with no keyboard/mouse connected.  I always try to boot with one
> attached or plug it in to get the drivers installed before I expect to
> need it.  After it has been recognized once it will work again, even
> after a reboot.  I don't think linux shares this problem.

Same sort of experience for me, too.  I've had Windows spend two minutes
or more trying to figure out what to do with a newly plugged in USB
mouse or keyboard, and often needing a reboot to be able to actually use
it.  With Linux, I plug it in, and by the time my fingers have made
their way back to the other end of the cable, its ready for use.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.