FC6 doesn't boot on VIA C3

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Fri Mar 9 18:36:48 UTC 2007

Hans-Jürgen Koch wrote:
> Am Freitag 09 März 2007 18:37 schrieb James Wilkinson:
>
>> Hans-Jürgen Koch wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to boot FC6 on an IPC with a VIA C3 (Samuel 2). The kernel
>>> comes up without error messages. As soon as a binary from the root
>>> file system should be started, the boot process stops without further
>>> messages. Keyboard and screen are still working!  Not that the root
>>> file system was already successfully mounted by the kernel, and no
>>> errors or warnings where displayed on the console.
>>>
>>> Are there any known limitations of FC6 regarding VIA processors? Any
>>> other hints?
>>>
>> Did you install on this PC? Or did you install on another PC and are
>> moving the disks to this one?
>>

> I installed FC6 on a different PC and copied the root file system to a CF
> card, from which the VIA C3 IPC boots.
>

>> As I understand it, gcc thinks that i686
>> processors support the CMOV instruction and will use it (when compiling
>> for i686 processors) without explicitly testing for it. Via C3s of that
>> era didn't, and so gcc-generated i686 code will crash on it.
>>

> Yes, that seems to be the reason. Problem is that I need glibc 2.5. If I
> replace the Fedora glibc with the binaries from Debian Experimental, I get a
> little farther in my boot process. It boots, but I can't login. So probably
> all Fedora binaries can contain this illegal instruction.
>

>> As an added complication, you may be using an i586 kernel with an i686
>> glibc, due to a well-known FC6 install bug.
>>
>> If you install on this PC, Fedora should choose the right RPMs
>> automatically.
>>

> Good idea, unfortunately, the Fedora installer doesn't work on this machine...
>

>> Alternatively, you could do something like
>> rpm -qa --qf "%{NAME}.%{ARCH}\n" | grep i686
>> to find all the i686 packages on the machine, download i586 equivalents,
>> and use
>> rpm -F --oldpackage *.i586*.rpm
>> to replace the i686 packages with i586 versions.
>>

> Thanks for that hint.
>

>> There shouldn't be much more than the kernel, glibc, and openssl to
>> replace.
>>

> I'll find out :-)
>
> Thanks,
> Hans

Hmmm... I install on these types of systems, sometimes many a day.

What is happening that prevents an install directly to the system in
question?

I routinely install FC6 to CF cards on this type of hardware.  The
was surprised by that at first, and was concerned that it was the FC6
anaconda bug, but it wasn't.

I install from USB pen drives, USB CDROMS, and network to these types of
systems with no issues.