FC6 and Samba

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Mar 10 01:16:02 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 18:15 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> >> Now that statement really puzzles me.  I run samba for the lan, not only
> >> windows to linux to windows, but also linux to linux.  I don't run as root,
> >> and I use selinux.
> >>
> >> Would you like to amplify your statement?
> > ----
> > sure - a smbfs/cifs mount pretty much discards the concept of posix
> > users and doesn't understand Posix attributes, has no concept of the
> > case in file names and finally doesn't permit executables.
> >
> Cifs supports UNIX extensions. They both support mixed case. It
> depends on the options you pick.
----
sure - are you recommending it? Do you do user maps? Are you suggesting
that cifs mounts are preferable mounts for Linux<=>Linux/Posix<=>Posix
use?
----

> > Take a Linux system...
> >
> > touch 'my file.txt'
> > touch 'My File.txt'
> >
> > do the same thing on Windows/samba mount
> >
> It again depends on the settings you use in Samba.
----
Yeah and then the name is mangled for Windows users since they cannot
comprehend any difference between 'my file.txt' and 'My File.txt'

So you've relocated the problem from Linux to Windows.

For what it's worth, I have used Microsoft's Services For Unix for many
years and I do get it and if you noticed in the previously posted user
dump from LDAP, I have integrated all of the user configuration info
into LDAP.

Craig