FC6 and Samba

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Mar 10 02:19:35 UTC 2007

Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 18:15 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Cifs supports UNIX extensions. They both support mixed case. It
>> depends on the options you pick.
> ----
> sure - are you recommending it? Do you do user maps? Are you suggesting
> that cifs mounts are preferable mounts for Linux<=>Linux/Posix<=>Posix
> use?
I would not recommend any network file system without knowing the
network it is going to be used on. There are times where cifs mounts
are going to work out better then NFS mounts. This is especially
true when most clients are Windows machines. If you only have a few
Linux clients, then it makes sense for them to use the same method
as the Windows machines.
> ----
> Yeah and then the name is mangled for Windows users since they cannot
> comprehend any difference between 'my file.txt' and 'My File.txt'
>
> So you've relocated the problem from Linux to Windows.

You actually have Windows users that type in file names when they
want to open a file?

Mikkel