UPS Connections and use (FC2)

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Mar 10 02:20:07 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 20:21:19 -0500,
  Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
> FWIW, this 'bulldog' software from Belkin does all that, including issuing
> shutdown commands to every specified machine on your network that depends
> on this ups for power should the AC die for some reason.  That also is
> why I would like to make it work through /dev/hiddev0 as opposed
> to /dev/ttyUSB0, which requires a $35 cable to implement.  I have 2 of
> them tied up now, and I don't want to get into a situation where I need
> to go get another of these adapter cables everytime I go to town for
> beer.

How about buying UPS's from someone else? Belkin isn't exactly open source
friendly. Yeah, they have some linux programs to support them, but don't
expect that code for their older models will get updated if access to devices
undergoes a major interface change again.

Other UPS manufacturers supply a lot more detail about how to talk to their
UPS's and at least one sponsors nut's development.