Google Earth stuck in graphics emulation

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sat Mar 10 14:39:49 UTC 2007

On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 04:05:22PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 10/03/07, Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> >

> >> Thanks for the qquick reply, Chris. I'm using the Vesa driver. Should
> >> I switch to Radeon?
> >
> >I have no personal experience with ATI hardware, but I would say almost
> >certainly yes. The vesa driver doesn't (as far as I know) have any 3D
> >capabilities.
> >You should probably consider installing the ATI fglrx if you want decent
> >performance with ATI hardware (yes, I know its closed source ... Make you
> >own
> >decision. For me, with nvidia, I *have* to install the nvidia driver since
> >the OSS nv driver has zero 3D performance, and I need 3D performance for
> >work
> >reasons.)
> >
> >cheers Chris
> >

> I'm googling fglrx now. I have no problem with installing proprietary
> software: if somebody developed it and licensed it for legal usage,
> then why not? Of course I would also prefer to use and to promote open
> source code, but I'll not cripple my system in the absence of such
> code.

M. Jones is correct, you need the Radeon proprietary driver. The good
folks at Livna have made it available. Enable the Livna repository;
see http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/UsingLivna. Then, to see what's
available, run:

yum list \*fglrx\*

You need a kmod- etc package and a xorg-x11-drv-fglrx package, as
appropriate for your system. Since the xorg-x11-drv-fglrx package
requires the kmod package, run

yum install xorg-x11-drv-fglrx

and you will get both.

I have found out that my repo isn't always up to date on kernels. So I
occasionally get something like:

--> Processing Dependency: kernel-i686 = 2.6.19-1.2911.6.5.fc6 for package: kmod-ntfs
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: kernel-i686 = 2.6.19-1.2911.6.5.fc6 is needed by package kmod-ntfs

To deal with that, I simply wait until my repository is up to date. Of
course, you could switch repositories, or use the "mirror" line in
your yum configuration instead of a specific repository.

> As per the instructions at http://www.fedorafaq.org/ I drop to
> runlevel 3 after installing kmod-fglrx via yum. I try to run
> ati-fglrx-config-display, but it is not installed! Other than
> installing from the tarball, is there any way to properly configure
> fglrx?

I believe it is now configured correctly out of the rpm package. I'm
sure someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I am wrong. In any
case, I don't have ati-fglrx-config-display on my system, and the
driver works well enough for me to run Google Earth.