openldap and FDS

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 18:51:40 UTC 2007

Craig White wrote:
> ----
> FDS isn't installed by default because there is simply no justification
> for doing so. All of the applications/daemons that have ldap client
> libraries compiled in as options

Are you saying these don't follow standards and thus interoperate correctly?

> So instead of installing OpenLDAP-Server you can install FDS and the
> choice is really up to the system administrator but neither is suitable
> as a default install.

I agree that they aren't suitable, but don't understand why this wasn't
fixed years ago.  How is someone with a few machines supposed to make
their accounts work everywhere?

> The point I was trying to make about needing to be versant with command
> line functionality of LDAP was this...if you can't query/maintain LDAP
> from the command line, you are never going to be able to debug/analyze
> how other applications interact with your LDAP server since LDAP doesn't
> operate in a vacuum.

Why is this any more true for LDAP than any other protocol?   Do you
need to understand imap command line tools and protocol analyzers to use
email?

> LDAP is only useful when you link in other
> applications and if you don't understand how they do that, you are going
> to get nowhere.

Again, why is LDAP any different in this respect that the other methods
doing the same jobs now - that most people use without understanding?
PAM should be covering up most of it anyway.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com