Looking for WiFi card recommendations

Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Mon Mar 12 01:13:53 UTC 2007

> Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:36:54 -0400
> From: "Andrew Parker" <andrewparker at bigfoot.com>
> Subject: Looking for WiFi card recommendations
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
>
> I need to get a WiFi card for my laptop, and could do with
> some recommendations as to what to get.  My preference is for
> an 802.11g, but would be prepared to splash out for 802.11n
> if its known to work well under FC6.
>
> Ideally, I would be able to get this from a bricks & mortar
> store rather than order over the internet, so a common brand
> such as linksys or d-link would be great.
>
> What I've found so far is that people recommend chipsets, but
> I have been unable to establish how I can work out the
> chipset of a product - particularly when I'm in a store
> looking at a bunch of boxes.

Many people will recommend by chipset, because this is a reliable way to
know that your card is compatible.  Manufacturers have been known to change
hardware for their devices, sometimes even within the same model line.  So
simply recommending a particular brand, or even a particular model, isn't
always enough to go on.

Since many cards are re-branded, knowing the chipset can help you find a
workable driver.

If you find a card you like in the store, ask the salesperson what chipset
is in it.  If you shop where the salespeople don't know, then take down the
model number and research it on the Web, say at the vendor's Website.  You
can often get good information by just Googling on the make and model of the
card.  You might also have success by looking at the hardware
specifications, or the regulatory label on the device itself.  If you are
really lucky, the box will advertise the chipset -- because they know that
some customers care, and because they use a good chipset.

Some other posts have mentioned the Atheros chipset, and I've had good luck
with the Intel PRO/Wireless cards (3945 and 2915 are their current models).
I'm sure there are others, too.

Erik