Looking for WiFi card recommendations

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Mar 12 01:23:51 UTC 2007

Erik Hemdal wrote:

> Many people will recommend by chipset, because this is a reliable way to
> know that your card is compatible.  Manufacturers have been known to change
> hardware for their devices, sometimes even within the same model line.  So
> simply recommending a particular brand, or even a particular model, isn't
> always enough to go on.
>
> Since many cards are re-branded, knowing the chipset can help you find a
> workable driver.
>
> If you find a card you like in the store, ask the salesperson what chipset
> is in it.  If you shop where the salespeople don't know, then take down the
> model number and research it on the Web, say at the vendor's Website.  You
> can often get good information by just Googling on the make and model of the
> card.  You might also have success by looking at the hardware
> specifications, or the regulatory label on the device itself.  If you are
> really lucky, the box will advertise the chipset -- because they know that
> some customers care, and because they use a good chipset.

Make sure you grab the version number as well. I have run into cards
where the same number uses several different chipsets, depending on
the version number. And the OS's supported change with the version
number.

> Some other posts have mentioned the Atheros chipset, and I've had good luck
> with the Intel PRO/Wireless cards (3945 and 2915 are their current models).
> I'm sure there are others, too.
>
> Erik

I have an Intel 3945 card built into my laptop, and it works great.
But I do have to download the module for it when I upgrade the
kernel, as it is not built into the stock kernel. Because it does
not come from the same repo, it is not always ready when the new
kernel comes out.

Mikkel