Curious Sunday Morning Linux File System Question ??

Shams shams at orcon.net.nz
Mon Mar 12 04:35:53 UTC 2007

Hi,

My question would be:

Is it the kernel or the shell and other user land program eg. bash,
ls, rm responsible for hiding the dotted files?

Historically:
Now why is this not just a attribute (like the evil OS Windows does)
or permission of the file instead of using obsure file names ie. the dot
prefix to hide the file?

Thanks
Shams

--