DVD frustration

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 12 10:20:28 UTC 2007

I master and burn DVDs from my analogue camcorder.  I normally test the end
product in xine, skipping through chapter marks and saving an image to use as
a case label.  A couple of weeks ago xine stopped being able to read them.
I've tried mplayer, totem and vlc, all of which worked in the past.  None of
them read them any more.

The disks aren't faulty - they play on stand-alone players, and I've tested on
more than one.

I have *xine* and libdvdcss from livna - although I can't see why I would
actually need libdvdcss to read unencrypted disks.  I've yummed livna for
updates, just in case, without getting any return.

Has anyone any idea what might be causing this?  I suspect some dependency
breakage, because these disks played under Mandriva up to last night, when I
did an update.  Now they don't.  I shall ask on the Mandriva list also, but
it looks to me as though this is a deeper problem that affects both, and
probably all, distros.

Anne