Problem with external USB hard drive

Mostafa Afgani m.afgani.fedora at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 12 10:56:12 UTC 2007

On 3/12/07, Andrig T. Miller <andrig.t.miller at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, I proceeded to go ahead and change the file system from
> fat32 to ext3.

I just did the same yesterday (2.5" notebook HDD in a USB enclosure,
80GB formatted using ext3). I don't remember if it was automounted but
it did show up under "Computer" shortly after plugging in. Then all
that is required to mount the device is a double click.

Regardless, you should also follow Walter's advice about labeling the volume.

> Any help in restoring the automount functionality would be greatly
> appreciated.

As far as I can tell, the tools involved are: HAL ->
gnome-volume-manager -> gnome-mount

You can play around with HAL by writing some custom FDI scripts.
Examples are available under:

/usr/share/doc/hal-0.5.8.1/conf/

and

/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/