Daylight Saving Time (DST)

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Mon Mar 12 13:02:45 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 05:44:33AM -0700, jdow wrote:
> And  I had quite unreasonably, perhaps, presumed the FC4 TZ update not all
> that long ago handled the changes. But apparently not. So I went and found
> the
> FC6 tzdata file, performed a rpmbuild -bi on it. Watched it fail. Took its
> time
> zone information from:
> /var/tmp/tzdata-root/usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Los_Angeles
> and copied it to:
> /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Los_Angeles
> Then I copied that to /etc/localtime
>
> Bingo - updated. The Fedora folks are worse than the Microsoft folks on this
> one. Simple fix on a relatively (to W2K) OS and nobody made it. At least the
> W2K lack of fix is for a very old offering. Ah well, a little persistence
> fixed it
> once I noticed the time had not updated properly.

This has been answered many times on various mailing lists already.
There have been 8 different FC4 tzdata updates released that have uptodate
America/Los_Angeles timezone data (2005m-1.fc4 and up), so unless you never
ran yum update, you surely had it installed already.  Even if there were
none, you jus can install fc6 or rawhide tzdata, it will install on FC4 just
fine, you don't need to bother rebuilding it.  You haven't said how it
failed, it certainly builds here even for RHEL3 which is much older.

All you need to do in FC4 is rerun system-config-date, because FC4
glibc-common didn't have /usr/sbin/tzdata-update %trigger on tzdata.
Or run
. /etc/sysconfig/clock
cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/$ZONE /etc/localtime

	Jakub