Handling multiple video devices

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 12 13:31:07 UTC 2007

On Monday 12 March 2007, Sander Hoentjen wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 19:13 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Thanks, both Nigel and Sander.  I haven't had time to look into this any
> > further today, but I'll take another look at it tomorrow.
>
> I'd be interested to hear the results when you tried my suggestions,
> because i have no idea it actually works, and if it does it might be
> worth changing in amsn, so it can be set with the gui

Hi, Sander.  Time has conspired against me, and I haven't had much time for
this yet.  However, I did try a slightly different version of your command:

::config::setKey "webcamDevice" "/dev/webcam"

with /dev/webcam being the symlink created through a udev rule.  amsn had no
problem finding the webcam, although the webcam is now actually
at /dev/video1.  Then I realised that the symlink isn't being created,
because I'm not using the same webcam, so the rule doesn't apply.  Doh!  I
need to do more testing on this.  I'll try to get to it in the next day or
so.

Anne