convert VHS to DVD

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 12 18:03:59 UTC 2007

Mick Mearns wrote:
> Hi list;
>   I have some older "store-bought" VHS tapes that I want to convert to
> DVD.
> Some of them are copy protected.
> I own them all, I just want to change from tape to disc.

Ain't it great. I just wish we could own our own copies.
I don't want to own the content, just my copy.

> Can this be done under Fedora?
> What is required?

Easiest way... Go to Best Buy or something like that, and find
a device called something like a "Video Clarifier". It'll have
ambiguous wording on it like "Clarifies tapes, reduces shredding
or tearing" on it. What it really does is kill MacroVision by
regenerating the sync pulses. Put this device between your tape
player video out and your DVD recorder video in, and you are in like
Flint. It'll work with your video capture card as well.

I bought one at a pawn shop several years ago for $5, and one at
Best Buy for about $15 perhaps three years ago. The one I got at
Best Buy was a SIMA CopyMaster.

> I have a video capture card already that has composite or s-video in.
> Leadtek winfast 2, BT878 .
> Of course my VCR only has composite out.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.