FC4 timezone RPM problem

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Mon Mar 12 19:18:46 UTC 2007

Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
> I am having a problem updating my timezone data.
> Here is an example.
>
> # rpm -q tzdata
> tzdata-2005m-1.fc4
> # rpm -U --allfiles --force tzdata-2006g-1.fc4.src.rpm
> # rpm -q tzdata
> tzdata-2005m-1.fc4
>
> And the files in /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/
> are unchanged.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Mike.

Yeah, uh, you installed the source RPM, which means that the files got
dumped in /usr/src/redhat/ for you to be able to build a binary RPM.
This will not update the binary timezone files until you build the
binary RPM and install it.  However, I have several Fc4 boxes that
didn't need the timezone update, it was already updated.

--
Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator