DVD frustration - new observation

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at panet.co.yu
Mon Mar 12 23:05:12 UTC 2007

On Monday 12 March 2007 14:42, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 12 March 2007, Tom Horsley wrote:
> > On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 13:08:12 +0000
> >
> > Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > > Thinking about what you said, I realised that you may be testing with
> > > commercially burned disks
> >
> > Actually, I tested both, but the home burned disk was burned on
> > windows (sorry) not linux. Maybe the problem is with the burning
> > software? (but they why would the burned disk work OK in a stand
> > alone player?). Nope. Too confusing for me.
> >
> :-)  It is, isn't it?  The disks are prepared with mjpegtoos + dvdauthor,
> : then
>
> burned in k3b.  They always worked until recently.  I also find that disks
> burned on my stand-alone video recorder won't play in xine etc. these days.
>
> Just adding details, in the hope that it sparks an idea from someone :-)
>
> Anne

You don't happen to have some stale VIDEO_TS.* files in your root directory,
do you? Yes, I do mean the / directory, but maybe you should also check your
home, current, etc dirs. I had an issue with xine not playing the dvd when a
file with such name resides in / (don't ask me how it got there). Though I
still don't understand that behavior of xine, renaming the file to something
not-dvd-specific removed the problem.

At the time I was too busy to investigate and file a bug report, but maybe you
have the same issue. As I understand, for some reason xine seems to look for
VIDEO_TS.IFO and .VOB files in / directory when you click on the "dvd"
button, and if it finds one, tries to play it (unsuccessfully in my case),
ignoring the actual dvd in the drive. It then reports a problem with the
"mrt" and (sometimes) crashes.

I have not tried mplayer. It does not support on-screen menus, so I use xine
for dvds, and mplayer for everything else. :-)

Oh, btw, this happend on a FC4 machine, xine was (and still is) v0.99.4.
Have not tried to reproduce the problem, was happy to eliminate it once and
avoid it since. :-)

HTH,
Marko